Well, old man winter is upon us. While our non-emergency transportation companies in Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, Alabama and other southern states are experiencing less severe road conditions. Our friends in the northern and central states have already experienced the weather’s icy grip and the dangerous conditions that continue to accumulate.
Since non-emergency transportation companies can’t shut down services because it’s unpleasant outside, it becomes imperative for the owners to emphasize the importance of defensive driving to all their drivers.
How to Safely Drive in Winter Conditions as a Non-Emergency Transportation Company
- Maintain a minimum of three full car lengths from the vehicle in front of you.
- Maintain a safe rate of speed.
- Watch for ice on overpasses and bridges.
- Take extra time to make sure that all wheelchair straps and tiedowns are tight and secure.
- Use good journey management. Let your dispatcher now where you are and where you are headed.
- Keep your lights on at all times for safety.
- Avoid roads off the beaten path, take major roads as much as possible
- Make sure that your vehicles are equipped with emergency roadside equipment (flares, triangle reflectors, can of tire sealant, etc.).
- Exercise common sense. Driving on ice and snow is not to be taken lightly.
- Perform trip inspections, prior to and after travel, to check for damage or dangerous ice accumulation.
Ultimately the safety of the passenger and the drivers is most important. Be careful on the roads, and be extra cautious of other drivers who show signs of inexperienced winter weather driving. Remember that preparedness and good risk management will ultimately relate to less insurance claim activity, and ultimately lower premiums, on your car insurance and non-emergency transportation insurance.
Unfortunately, many of us have to continue driving in such treacherous conditions, but we hope by considering these points you will be safer on the roads. If you are seeking further advice, our Independent Insurance Agency in Atlanta is available to help you protect your assets and stay safe during every condition that may arise.